Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

What’s mine is yours

I saw this blog post yesterday morning and it really struck my heart.  The truth is that I have been in all three mindsets (or people types, as the blog categorizes it) at different times.  I know that I feel most alive and at my best when I live with the attitude that reflects, ‘what’s mine is yours.’

While I exist in the mindset of, ‘what’s yours is mine,’ least often, I know I am there more than I like to admit—or probably am able to recognize.  The thought, ‘what’s mine is mine,’ is the one I find to be most troubling.  I know I personally fall into that after being hurt.  It is a protective stance and certainly easy for me to rationalize.

I have been teased many a time for idealizing the commune way of life.  I have fantasized for years that the Lord would bring into our lives a family or more with whom we might live in a state of sharing—kids coming and going, equally safe and loved in any of the families’ homes; sharing our material earnings, work and time.  It is a dream of mine to work side by side, serving the community, schooling our children, sharing meals…

And, boy, do friends give me a hard time about it!  We live in a, ‘what’s mine is mine,’ society.  It isn’t considered even wise to be so open with one’s life and possessions.  And when I am feeling unsafe or bruised, I tend to agree with this society.  I pull back, live for me and mine, and let the chips fall where they may.

But my soul isn’t at rest in that state of being.  The fact is, I like giving.  I like being open, even in my flaws.  And I like sharing.  Not only that, I like trusting and depending on other people. 

I don’t believe I am all that special, either.  I think most people do like these things, but they’ve been so well trained in the idea that, ‘what’s mine is mine,’ that they’ve forgotten the blessings that come from living with others.  Instead, we live with a mantra, ‘keep to yourself, take care of yourself.’

What does the Lord ask of us?  To love our neighbor.  It is the work of our daily lives to determine who is our neighbor and how do we love him.

If you know anyone in need, anyone who is hurting, please reach out.  You may be more blessed than you know.

 

 

~~Here is a bit of a plug~~If there is a homeschooler in need, or if you want to help provide for needy homeschooling families, please contact me personally.  Through the Ambassador Program from the Homeschool Foundation, we can make a difference by loving our neighbors.

No comments: