Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Perfect Timing

One of the aspects of our schooling this year is current events.  I confess this isn’t something that has been super exciting to me.  But God is so good and we have had some very notable events in our world that have wonderfully tied into our daily lessons.  I am not so self-centered as to think these have been orchestrated to compensate for my own stunted sense of worldly savvy.  Nor is it lost on me that the events are tragedies to thousands of lives.  But I am still thankful that the Lord has brought the world to our doorstep, so to speak, so that our awareness of the need to pray and to identify ourselves as world sojourners is ever vigilant.

We have a prayer list that includes KidsROCK families and our own family and friends.  This week we prayed for my mom’s family.  It also happens to be my Uncle’s and my grandma’s birthdays.  Right after we studied the Pacific Islands, volcanoes and Irian Jaya, Indonesia was hit by volcanic eruptions and earthquakes.  It brought the cerebral wonder of these natural disasters a degree of reality we needed.  We took our kids along with us to vote, driving home how precious this gift is when we pray for cities under governments that suppress God-given freedoms.  And today, we celebrated as we prayed for Burma/Myanmar when Aung San Suu Kyi was finally freed from house arrest.  We prayed with more background knowledge (and thus more fervency) for the city of Yangon—which was an assigned city this week!

No comments: