Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Success and a Challenge

I had such a great time with the ladies yesterday evening at the Quarterly Meeting.  I care so much about each of them and their families; it is a treat every time I get to see them.  I am so thankful how patient they are with my fumbling ways!   One day I may be smooth and cool and all together.  No one will recognize me, though!

We revealed the autumn 2010 calendar and opened registration.  We have some wonderful and exciting things planned!  I always feel a little sorry for the last month of any quarter.  There are still neat activities planned for August, but I am drooling over the new season.  I may be guilty of anthropomorphizing the year a bit, but what do you expect from a girl who took years to get rid of her 100+ stuffed animal collection because it would hurt the animals' feelings if she cast them aside?

The next topic of the meeting was calendaring.  I wasn't comfortable with the idea of telling others how to arrange their days and weeks.  It is a task I am continually refining myself.  Even if I were master of my family's calendar, I just don't think I could tell others how to order their lives.  I have been taught that the checkbook and the calendar are often the truest speakers to one's priorities.  So, to direct a calendar is to dictate priorities!  I am not worthy of that task!

But I know One who is.  So I went to the Word to see what is said about our time.  I remembered a dear friend had pages and pages detailing the directions to the church on how to be the church.  I pulled a tiny fraction of the passages he'd compiled and shared them with the ladies.  I also gave them a chart to use in ordering and planning their lives according to priority.

I am so guilty of falling to the temptation of dealing with small things first.  They are so quick and easy--and it is so satisfying to cross something off of a list.  Relationships don't fall neatly into a to-do list, though, and it is for relationships that we are made.  When I don't allow myself the proper amount of time, it seems the things most important to me are what fall to the wayside--my husband, my time with the Lord, ministering to friends in need.  I run out of time because I was running around doing nothing.

The best part was hearing from the other ladies the lessons they've learned about prioritizing and how school fits into life.  There is such encouragement in hearing from the wisdom of friends!

Finally, we did our little store time.  KidsROCK made some money!  Whoohoo!! I got rid of some school supplies!!  Whoohoo, Whooohoooo!

If you want to come by to do a little shopping, I will hold on to the leftovers just a little bit longer, so give me a call or email and I can set you up for $5 a grocery bag!  If you are interested in a copy of the Bible verses and calendaring chart, I can email those to you, as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll take two grocery bags and all resources available by email. Thanks!!

KidsROCK Academy said...

I'll get right on that!