Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Friday, August 6, 2010

City of Ember

I have to say I have mixed feelings about watching the movie for this book.  I am enjoying the book so much, and can't wait to hear from everyone else read the book.  But the version we got has photos from the movie in it.  And just from the photos and captions we can see there will be some changes.  It always happens, doesn't it?

I look forward to the movie day for our Family Book and Movie Club, though.  It is so neat to listen to kids' impressions.  And they catch little nuances I miss.  My family appreciates both the book and movie so much more when we experience it with our friends.

My girl has been a little frustrated by all the mystery.  I am enjoying watching her pick up on clues, though.  She is not one who processes things very well by just listening.  Even with that struggle, she is getting so much from this story.  She is continually interrupting to tell me she knows how a particular character feels or that she would have done something differently.

One thing that resonated with both my kids immediately was when Lina was drawing.  The book says that things don't turn out for her on paper in the same way that she imagined it before drawing.  Wow!  The noise level did not match two sleepy kids!  They both could relate so intimately with that idea. 

I am thankful for these fun books 'off the books' of our regular school schedule.  My kids know it is just for fun and they know friends are reading the same book and they never forget that the reward for finishing is the movie day together.  Such a wonderful summer treat! 

No comments: