Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Learning through cooking

My sister bought my daughter a cookbook for her birthday.  It is the best kids’ cookbook I’ve ever seen—and I have seen a few!  The recipes are yummy, doable and don’t call for outlandish ingredients, which is a big plus in a little town with limited supplies.  In addition to the great recipes, there are games and tips that make it a fun playbook, too.

We have been choosing recipes and making shopping lists and at last payday has come.  We finally get to play!  So my son made his first choice for lunch.  We had mini pizzas with the fruity smoothies that were my daughter’s first choice.

The book has easy to follow instructions, and the kids did a great job making lunch today.

As fun as the cooking was, there was something else that was really neat.  The kids were cooperative, helpful and cheerful.  I needed extra help with other chores while we were cooking, and they were happy to oblige. I think letting them have the privileges that come with cooking, changed how they saw themselves, and it showed.

I love days like this!

No comments: