Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Monday, November 8, 2010

A Real Math Book

My son finished his math book and needed to start a new one.  Because I am often empty-headed, it hadn’t occurred to me that I don’t actually have the next level.  I have my daughter set for the next two years, however, so I am guessing I planned twice for her and not at all for my boy.  Tell me I am not the only one who does things like that!

Regardless of why, the fact remains that in the moment, I needed to find something for him to do.  So I handed him a "Key to..." book.  I glanced through it and saw it was below his level, so I told him to do ten pages and sent him on his way.

I busied myself with…well, I can’t really remember what I was doing, but I am sure you can imagine I was doing something like cleaning, organizing or teaching my daughter.  At some point, I saw my son digging through the bookshelf.  I asked him what he was doing.  You wanna know what he said?

“The book you gave me is just introducing the concept.  Can I have a real math book, please?”

How cool is that??  My kid wasn’t taking the easy route and wanted to be challenged.  When did that happen?

No comments: