Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Electives

Foreign Language, music, arts, home economics, health, woodshop….  The list of enriching lessons, skills and activities we can offer our kids goes on and on.  Love them and hate them, they can serve as dessert or as the dreaded vegetable.  Why is that?

Sometimes our eyes get bigger than our stomachs, so to speak.  I know that I want my kids equipped and competitive by the time they reach college, and the clock ticks more and more loudly as each year passes.

How do we choose wisely so that we aren’t just cramming our kids’ lives with busy-ness that doesn’t provide any lasting benefits—like junk food? 

This is my current conundrum.  We are doing all sorts of cool things right now.  Piano, recorder, drawing, Spanish, health, typing, root words…goodness!  I have regretfully dropped a couple out of necessity.  But things still aren’t working.

I am dreading school, because it feels overwhelming.  I argue with myself against dropping any more because they are each so simple; they don’t really take that much time.  Each subject and each program I have hand-selected is so very sweet.  Fun, easy, delicious!  The problem is that even the sweetest food causes indigestion when you overindulge.  So what do I do? 

Have you struggled with the same issues?  Are you feeling a little green around gills from lingering too long at the buffet table?  How have you learned to sample wisely?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are doing Spanish this year, and soccer at the moment. The kids did typing last year, but this year they are practicing typing with weekly reports of some sort with our LA. Health - we fit it in naturally during the day, as it fits. We'd love to fit in piano...maybe once soccer is done. There are truly so many fun electives out there. We have had to prioritize, and eventually, if our schedule opens up, we'll do more. With as close as we are to high school, we feel, as a family, the need to focus on the core classes and add the extras when there is time. Good questions, Cindy!
Julie B.