Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The School Tears—or, Need a Hand?

I always struggle with this one.  I can argue both sides so expertly, it becomes quite a challenge to stick to one thing and follow through.  What am I talking about?  School-tears.  You’ve experienced these, yes?The tears that well up when a child is challenged, and can bring the entire day to a teeth-grinding, blood-curdling screeching halt?  Or is it just me?  What to do? 

On the one hand, challenge is a good thing.  We all must face challenges, and it is good to gain skills of perseverance and humility to continue trying when something is difficult and even when we fail.

On the other hand, I don’t want to push something that can be learned with ease later.  Why fuss and ruin the subject in her perception when I can wait a year and she’ll pick it up in a snap?

On the other hand, what do I do when that year becomes another year, and that one becomes two more?  How long does it take for it to become a snap, exactly?

On the other hand, I want to instill a sense of joy for learning.  How can I do that when there is all this drama coming down around my ears??

On the other hand, what are we teaching when we stop lessons because of tears?  Might I, in my earnestness to train a lover of learning, in fact be training a master manipulator?  DUN DUN DUNN.  (That is my scary music.)

On the other hand, what good am I doing pushing a subject level that is clearly too challenging?  Won’t I create mental and emotional blocks or scarring in my child?

On the other hand, if it isn’t challenging, what the heck are we doing here anyway, huh?  How are they to improve if they never, ever try anything above their current level? 

On the other hand, homeschooling isn’t just about an individual.  It is about the entire family.  And when this one cries—oh!  You should hear it!  What am I saying?  You probably DO hear it!  The whole family suffers because of stinkin’ copy-work!  Is it really worth it?  I mean, doctors are famous for having bad handwriting!

On the other hand, what are we coming to when we rationalize our way out of every uncomfortable situation.  As homeschoolers, we are bringing up the WHOLE child.  There is a point when the lesson is less about math and becomes solely about obedience.

On the other hand, technology is booming.  How important is math and handwriting when there is a calculator on every phone, spellcheck on email—and texting is changing the face of spelling? hmm?

On the other hand, should we be teaching our children such a heavy reliance on technology?  Is that best for the future we can’t even see?  Wouldn’t it be wise to teach some of the ‘classics’ like math and spelling?

*sigh*  I’ve gotten a little dizzy and my kid just ran off to play with the dogs.  Crisis averted?

1 comment:

Words2Bless said...

Funny, funny, funny, Cindy. I know that you will find the perfect balance between all the "on the other hands" for your family. Yes, obedience is important. Yes, now wounding the spirit of a child is highly important. Maybe, take a break, but come back to it when all the emotions have dropped. Everyone can have a bad day, a bad week or possibly even a bad month. Give her a break (and in turn you will also be getting a greatly deserved respite.)