Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Gift of Friendship

April 2010 021Just as parents emulate some of the attributes of God the Father to their children, I think friends do the same in shining Jesus, our friend, and the Holy Spirit, our councilor.  Friends are companions, sounding boards, consolers, fellow-rejoicers, encouragers, helpers…the list goes on. 

July 2010 089 friendSince the Lord created us for fellowship, there is something quite natural about seeking friends.  It happens at a young age, and the need for friends doesn’t abate in our waning years.  There seems to be few other gifts more cherished than the freedom to be ourselves with another person.  It is wonderful to have friends who let you be you, in all your different forms: silly, scared, cuddly, serious and adventurous.

Madi the Chef and Hobo Camp 038Think about those wonderful friends who are there in bad times or when you are in need.  What a blessing!  We have had our share of rough times and I have been truly amazed by the wave of people who’ve swooped in to help whenever a trial presents itself.

P6250556When we first moved to town, we were broke, had a six month old baby and my husband was working all sorts of funky hours.  But friends took care of us.  A new girlfriend taught me how to grocery shop wisely, how to make bread and jelly and where to go for Bible study.  From the move in to equipping our new home with a fridge, firewood and the awl with which to chop it, we had every provision through the acts of loving friends. 

Early May 2010, Burns and Kalbachs 030And those friends are all the more cherished for being around for the good times, to celebrate the good.  I will never forget my full house when my husband threw a surprise birthday party for me.  Then a few years later, my sister did the same.  Looking around the room at all the faces who came for ME took my breath away and humbled me beyond words.

KidsROCK 09 Wemples 065Then there are those gems who are there for the mundane; I personally consider these people who are there for laundry, hanging out, and chatting to be among the most precious.  After all, most of life in our current time and place is lived in that middle place. 

P6250548Hopefully, you aren’t living from crisis to crisis.  And as exciting as it might seem, living triumph to triumph can wear one down quickly.  But day in and day out, friends who call or drop by just because you are friends are precious literally in deed

KidsROCK 016.jpg walk awayIf you have a friend who is there for you with constancy, I think you are blessed with a glimpse of heaven.  And if you happen to be one of those friends, then I pray the Lord bless your socks right off!

No comments: