Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Just Pretend

As I was making breakfast, I overheard my daughter playing with her dolls in her home-made doll house.  I am so proud of her for making a two story house using a box and other things from around the house.  She is creative and innovative!

I begin listening a little more carefully.  The mother is encouraging her children to get up, or they will be late for school.  What?  They need to hurry because it is picture day.  What?  How does the girl who has only homeschool, and can’t even remember the word public school (for a while she called it preschool and now she calls it high school) play about missing the bus and picture day?  I don’t get it.

This is not the first time my kids’ play has perplexed me.  In the past I have seen them play ‘house’ where both parents work and they need to find babysitters or day care.  huh?

Now, I don’t have a problem with any of these things per se.  But I just thought kids played what they knew.  My kids don’t know from any sort of first hand experience about catching buses, picture day, or day care.  Babysitters are even quite rare. 

I suppose it goes to show just how pervasive our society is!

No comments: