Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

How do you School? 2

I read a blog post the other day discussing what school ‘looks like’ in homes.  He was commenting on photos he was seeing of kids gathered round the dinner table with pencils in hand.  His own homeschool memories had more to do with the couch that any writing surface. 

The post got me to thinking about all the wonderful ways in which homeschooling is achieved.  We have a KidsROCK member who converted an upper floor into a school room.  I can’t imagine even the most die-hard unschooler not drooling just a little at the vision of her brightly painted room with subject areas marked with cheerful signs.  And I can’t imagine even the most reticent unschooler not cringing at the thought of schooling on a strict schedule the way this member does.

That is the beauty of homeschooling: the diversity!

We have members who use curriculum-in-a-box programs, executing every subject from a prescribed lesson plan.  Little planning or preparation is needed before diving into the school day.  Other members do most of their teaching on the computer—meaning they take a hands-off, child-directed approach.  Still others choose a totally child-directed approach, allowing the interests of the child to spark inspiration for activity.

Some do gather round the table to finish worksheets.  Some pile onto the couch to listen to stories.  My own kids have been known to hang upside down from the couch or computer chair, play quietly with manipulatives and color while I read.  There are families with kids who set up workstations at their desks.  A number of families do the majority of their lessons all together, and other families individualize activities to each child.

I delight in these differences.  I have seen families ‘try on’ the different homeschooling looks for size.  Some do so experimentally, while others do so because they think they are doing the proper thing.  I see those families who try desperately to fit into an image of homeschooling  flounder in frustration and even give it all up. 

I wish I could reach all homeschoolers and prospective homeschoolers with the message that homeschooling has no one single look.  Stop trying to school like the Joneses.  Try things out, be ready to change and have fun!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you all the way!!! Do what works for you not the world!!! But most of all have fun the learning will always take place,seen or unseen. :)
Paula