Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Trouble with Parenting...

This has always been a favorite picture of mine.
The trouble with parenting is that the results of our actions are so far away.  How do we know if we are doing the right thing?  It isn't like cooking.  I mean, I know pretty quickly that I screwed up in the kitchen.  There is a tell-tale smell, ya know!  My smoke detector chimes in, and then you really know!

When you blow it while driving, well, that is pretty obvious.  When I make a mistake with the money--there ain't no ignoring that, no matter how hard I try!

But with kids, it takes more time.  And often, by the time you figure out you're off-base, it feels too late to fix it. I get overwhelmed with the responsibility of it all.  It is a game where 'they' are playing for keeps and there are no do-overs.  How do you know what to do?

I praise the Lord that He is there for my kids.  I often pray He stands in my many gaps as I raise them.  And finally, I rest on the promise of Proverbs 22:6, and I train up my kids the way they should go so that when they are old, they will not depart from it.  I guess that means we keep plugging away, living each day with purpose and love, and leave the rest to Him.

I went searching for pictures that might demonstrate Proverbs 22:6.  Some were great, but I didn't know if I could use them.  Some were disturbing!  Then I remembered that I have that cool photo of my man leading my kids, so I went hunting for our own pictures that I knew I could use.  My darling husband is teaching our kids how to roast marshmallows on stick they sharpen themselves.



My boy is a little more into the stick-sharpening-training.  My girl would rather dance with the stick and eat the marshmallow raw.

No comments: