Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Secret Keeper Girls--playing dress-up

We had a small group, but so much fun today.  We looked through photos of fashions through the decades and trends, then the girls dressed up.  With tiaras and white gloves in place, we commenced our princess tea.  I had so much fun laughing and sharing with the girls!

I love a get-together, whatever the reason.  Game nights, tours, classes, Round Table Discussions, you name it!  I will be there.  But I started the Secret Keeper Girl club with something different in mind.  It was my daughter  who really wanted to do this.  She didn't know what it was about, of course. But she is cut from the same cloth and loves a get together.

I am blessed to have so much in common with my daughter.  I enjoy my time with her, and feel privileged to know her as intimately as I do.  I still think of her as just a little thing, but I am consciously working to allow her to grow up.  While I've never been a big fan of the idea of being my kids' friend when I am supposed to be mom, I must say the idea of our relationship evolving as they grow into one that is lasting and more on a peer level is inviting.



I consider this time with my daughter as an investment.  I want her well equipped for the years just around the corner.  But I also want a rich soil in which we can grow a beautiful friendship for life.  To be able to do this with other friends makes the whole process all the more rich.  I get to see my daughter interact with others, and I get to see her friends in a new light.  I am delighted to 'meet' these young ladies at each gathering.  They are thoughtful, sweet and full of personality.

No comments: