Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How Time Flies

I seem to be in a reflective mood these last several days.  Today is my niece's birthday, and I have been strolling down memory lane.  She is 17.  Her brother turned 20 last month.  My niece is in college, my nephew is moving away to his college dorm next week.  On the one hand, their lives are just beginning.  On the other, it feels indisputable that an era has ended.  I don't know if my sister is sad or excited or experiencing a mixture of those feelings as this new chapter begins in their life, but I can tell you that I--like it is all about me--am going through sympathetic empty nest syndrome.

One of the biggest influences in our decision to homeschool was the fact that my sister was homeschooling.  Now she is nearly done.  When I started schooling my own kids, this endeavor seemed so big and a forever kind of thing.  Now I see that an end does come.  I think it should be comforting, but instead I actually find it terrifying.

I am not done!  I don't feel done at all!  With children aged eleven and eight, I know I still have time, but I am acutely aware of just how quickly that time slips away.  I think back to my niece and nephew as little ones.  It wasn't that long ago!  I remember my mischievous nephew running and laughing maniacally as he flushed grandma's slippers.  I remember my darling niece allowing her friend to chop off all her hair because that is what the friend wanted to do that day.  Those things happened only yesterday when my nephew was 2, and my niece 5.  Don't even try to point out the illogic of how time works in my head!  I won't hear of it.

I love schooling my kids.  I love just being with them.  They are smart and funny and imaginative.   I am excited about the future, but feel jealously protective of now.  I don't want to miss a revelation, an achievement, or even a struggle.

I hope you all are soaking up the time with your kids, no matter what their age.  I hope these luxuriously long summer days are chock full of memory-making moments for both you and your kids.  If you'd like to share some of those memories below in the comments area, I would be blessed to read about them!
"Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure--pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return." Luke 6:38

No comments: