Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Are They Learning?

I am planning a big cooking day tomorrow with the kids.  We are going to make countless meals in two days that we will freeze for future dinners.  My husband has been making most of the meals through the summer months and it is high time I step back into this responsibility.  I am hoping that acquiring a cache of choices at the ready will get me back into gear.

So today is our shopping day.  I took the kids with me and they helped out.  At the checkout stand the very friendly cashier was chatting us up.  He asked the kids why they weren't in school.  My son answered that we were on vacation.  I could see the guy's face turn into a wry smile.  I couldn't blame him.  After all, who goes on vacation in September?

So I supplied that we are homeschooling.  He asked the kids what they were learning today.  He supplied his own answer by suggesting they were learning about budget shopping.  My sweet boy said, 'no, we are on vacation!'  Like the man was stupid.  smile_embaressed

Ah! My stinky rotten boy!  Way to represent!  We fuddled our way through the rest of the checkout and I rushed us to the car.  Do you all know what happens in the car?  Yep: speech time!

I told them that even on vacation we learn.  In the next couple of days they will be learning a lot about organization, cooking, following a recipe and how to get along in the teeny space we liberally call a kitchen.  I told them that when there isn't something new to learn, they practice and solidify what they've already learned: being nice or being mean; reading or watching TV; responsibly keeping up after oneself or slothfulness.  We are always learning or conditioning ourselves.  There are no free days, really. not talking to myself[1]

While I imparted all this fine wisdom, they played the Oregon Trail on the iTouch, offering me the most minimal amount of attention they thought wouldn't risk them into further speechifying.  

I am just talking to myself!

No comments: