Welcome!

Welcome to the KidsROCK Academy blog. This is a place of encouragement and inspiration. I am not an expert in all things, so I am eager to hear from those with different perspectives. Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment lines.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Don't Lose the Big Picture

Sometimes I forget why I do what I do because I am so busy doing it.  It doesn't make any sense, but it is true for so many things, usually those things that matter most, like marriage, a fitness regime, a spiritual devotion and parenting.  I submit that homeschooling belongs on that list, too.  The noble, worthy endeavors are big.  They span years, decades, lifetimes.  If they didn't, they probably wouldn't be on the list.

I can't always see the forest for the trees--the life for the daily dedication--and I forget that one cannot exist without the other.

Picking up dirty laundry for the best-not-to-count-it(th) time, forcing myself onto the treadmill while 100 other things are calling my name, being still long enough to hear the Voice speak to my heart, and stepping on a Lego in the middle of the night again can all get old.  So can teaching math facts to an infuriatingly blank face, or tensing when I hear the sigh as I assign a writing lesson, or hearing a snore half way through the history chapter.

I cry out inside.  Why am I doing this?  Who's having fun?  Whom is this helping?  How can this be a good thing?  It is.  Look up!  Rise above the waves; set your eyes to see His! Look deeply, see the reflection of how He sees.  It matters.  It is good!  It will last. It is noble.  The rewards are far-reaching and can't be rushed.

I believe with my deepest core that the above is Truth.  My efforts are for eternity.  But there is something I am missing.  Can it be my own attitude?  No!  I have to look into those holy Eyes again.  If my goal is so great, and yet all I am doing is going through the motions....

It hurts to realize that what I consider to be mind numbing repetitions are actually opportunities for prayerful, humble love.  I've passed it up!  Got lost in it.

With these big things, I have to balance my vision.   If I constantly look to the future, I miss on the glories of today.  If I lose myself in the mire of the daily grind, I forget why I am doing this in the first place.

This week, I am going to submit my attitude to be changed by the only One Who can with any finality.  I will pick up that dirty sock and use it as a reminder to whisper a prayer for the wearer.  I will get on the treadmill, thankful that I can. I will leap into my prayer closet, ready for my daily molding.  And when I step on a Lego, I will praise the Lord for the children I have, the toys we've been able to provide, the creativity to which I've been exposed and every moment I've failed until now to cherish.

When school meets with resistance, I will sing praises that it is I teaching them.  I love them.  I know them.  I will see them through this, like I saw them through nightmares, potty training and tantrums, and I honestly wouldn't trade those honors for anything.

The daily grind is that for which I need to learn to live.  It is what marks time and gives meaning to my relationships.  I need to remember to let frustrations go, savor the moments and know it adds up to something far bigger than I can imagine.

This doesn't relate to you, does it?

No comments: